Carta de Joe Rogers, superintendente de las escuelas de Vernon.
Re: Coronavirus and International Travel During Spring Break
As the world deals with the rapidly changing situation around the spread of COVID-19, we are writing to address the process that the District will follow for anyone who is travelling internationally. Please check the District website regularly during the break for updates.
District staff are closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and adhering to the recommendations of our Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, the Ministries of both Health and Education and the Government of Canada. Any updates received from these sources will be posted to our District website, and we ask that you continue to monitor the Government of Canada’s Travel Health Notices if you are travelling.
BC Health officials are now recommending against all non-essential travel outside of Canada. Anyone who travels abroad must stay home from work or school for 14 days upon their return to the province.
For all families travelling, please monitor your health while travelling and after you return. If you have been to areas known to have transmission of COVID-19, and have any cold or influenza symptoms, even if they're mild, stay away from others, and call your health care provider, 8-1-1, or Interior Health.
To assist in preventing and controlling respiratory viruses, we offer the following guidelines:
- People who are ill with respiratory illness symptoms: fever, cough, fatigue, and/or muscle aches, are to follow usual practices for taking sick leave.
- Follow the consistent practice of good respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene. Good respiratory etiquette includes covering the mouth and nose during coughing or sneezing with a tissue or a flexed elbow and disposing of used tissues in a plastic-lined waste container, followed by hand hygiene. Hand hygiene is the washing of hands with plain soap and water, which is effective at removing visible soil as well as viruses.
The safety of our students and staff is our top priority. For your information, below is a list of resources to help with the monitoring of this situation as well a flyer on hand washing to share with your families.
Thank you for your time and understanding,
Superintendent of Schools
- Government of Canada Travel Health Notices
- Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories:
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- COVID-19 Q&A from HealthLinkBC
- All joint statements from Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix
- Kids and COVID-19 a resource
- CBC Kids and Provincial Health Officer video on COVID-19