Dear International Community,
The Abbotsford School District created FAQs to provide you with updated information on the District website https://www.abbyschools.ca/announcement/frequently-asked-questions-during-covid-19
Students + Instruction
- Will students be provided with online learning opportunities during the closure?
The Ministry of Education has indicated that school districts should develop educational continuity plans and we are working on those resources now. As they are finalized, we will communicate with students and staff accordingly.
International students: International students leaving for their home country are still our students for the remainder of the current school year. When educational continuity plans are finalized, all international students will be included and contacted regardless of where they are residing.
- Will Grade 12 students be at risk of not graduating?
All students who are currently on track to graduate will do so.
International students: The District’s educational continuity plans will include plans for grade 12 students.
- Will I have to redo my current grade?
- Will this closure impact mid-term reports?
- My current mark is low and I was looking to improve it before the mid-term marks are in. Will this closure impact my marks?
Please discuss this with your teacher and school administration.
International students: Teachers, school administration, and the International Assistants will return to work after Spring Break. International students and parents can contact them regarding this matter.
- Will this impact college and university applications?
We do not believe there will be an impact, however, it's best that you check with your college or university.
- Will schools and sites remain closed for the rest of the school year?
- Are Administrative and Operational sites open?
At this time, our Administrative and Operational sites (School Board Office, CORE, ITC, Facilities) are closed to the public but open to staff. Appointments can be made by phone (604.859.4891).
International students and parents: The School Board Office is closed now. If you are coming to make the program fee payment, please come to the side entrance and call our office at 604.851.4585.
- Will the school year be extended into the summer months?
- Are schools and sites being cleaned during the closure period?
- What can I do to prevent the spread of infection?
As recommended by Provincial Health Officials: stay home and away from others, if sick or in isolation; wash hands often; cover coughs and sneezes with your elbows; avoid touching face with unwashed hands; avoid travel outside Canada; self-isolate for 14 days if returning from travel outside Canada or were exposed to COVID-19; and contact your primary health provider or Health Link 811 if you have questions about your health.
- If I return to my home country before March 31, do I have to pay any additional homestay fee for April?
I want to stay here but I also want to see my friends. Can I get together with my friends?
For international students to stay in our District Homestay Program, they must abide by the expectations of our program, the host family, and our government, about what they can and cannot do. As per the letter sent out on March 18th, we are discouraging international students, their families and their host families from travelling domestically and/or going out to public places where a group of people can gather such as restaurants, malls, movie theatres, etc. The use of public transportation is also discouraged along with international students’ sleepovers. If any students in the District homestay do not follow any of these rules and expectations, regrettably, they cannot continue in our District Homestay Program.
We will update you again as we receive more information.
Manager, International Student Program