Dear NSISP Representative:
Greetings from sunny Nova Scotia! We wanted to provide you with some general updates about our current response to COVID-19 and the academic year 2020-2021.
Like all of you, we are watching the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic as it continues to evolve around the world. Our thoughts are with you as we navigate through this uncharted territory in our industry and we look forward to life going back to normal. Till then, we want to assure you we are taking the best possible care of your students in Nova Scotia.
- Our recommendation remains the same – students stay here rather than try and find a flight home. Our officials tell use the safest place to be right now is at home and we are taking this seriously.
- If natural families want their children home we will facilitate transportation to the airport.
- Students should be registered with their government if they are travelling to their home country.
- Our host families and, our entire team, are doing our very best to ensure students are following the rules set by our provincial government, including not getting together in groups, not going to public areas, etc.
- Online courses/academics – Grade 12 students across the province are receiving notifications on how they will be moving forward first and this has already started. We assume other grades will follow in time and we will update you as we know more. Your students are like our own kids and they will receive whatever educational adjustments are made for everyone. As our March Break just ended our education officials are working as quickly as they can to put alternative plans into place.
We know it’s trying times for students, host families, and natural parents… but we believe if we all work together and follow the safety measures being recommended we can put this virus behind us and move forward in time.
Please know we are doing our very best to communicate updates to you ahead of students to their natural families; however, in this day of technology, it’s not always so easy. We are updating our FAQs as more information becomes available and you can find them anytime here: https://nsisp.ca/sites/default/files/nsisp_covid_19_faq.pdf
For September 2020:
- We are working diligently on processing all applications
- Letters of acceptance and invoices are being sent now
- Homestay placements will be delayed due to COVID-19; however, we hope to have these completed by the end of June.
- Fees are still due by July 6, 2020 (this will be monitored as the situation evolves)
If you have any questions or concerns during this time please let us know.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.
Executive Director, NSISP